by Marshall Goldsmith
This book is useful only if you are focused on wanting to get more out of your life. It's one of those instances where the student needs to be ready in order for the teacher to appear. If you read it with no intention of actually changing anything about how you think or structure your days you'll quite likely miss the point of this book.
The author explains adult behavioral change in an easy to understand, digestible way. He suggests each day, we ask ourselves six questions:
- 1. Did I do my best to set clear goals today?
- 2. Did I do my best to make progress toward my goals today?
- 3. Did I do my best to find meaning today?
- 4. Did I do my best to be happy today?
- 5. Did I do my best to build positive relationships today?
- 6. Did I do my best to be fully engaged today?
The rest of the book discusses what it means to do these six things, why it's so hard to keep focused on them, why it's important anyway, and how we can structure our lives to make asking these questions (and answering them in the positive) more likely.
I love the subtitle! Creating Behavior That Lasts -- Becoming the Person You Want to Be